Page 2 of 2
Re: So
Posted: Mar 05, 2010 7:08am
by Pyro Psycho
Athos wrote:Cookie wrote: You can't really define love; it depends on your definiton.
Taking the Justice Potter Stewart approach I see.
Well, it's not like it's the wrong thing to say in this case.
I have to agree with that "Justice Potter Stewart" person.
What is love? Baby don't hurt me ... don't hurt me.

Re: So
Posted: Mar 06, 2010 2:25pm
by Athos
Pyro Psycho wrote:Athos wrote:Cookie wrote: You can't really define love; it depends on your definiton.
Taking the Justice Potter Stewart approach I see.
Well, it's not like it's the wrong thing to say in this case.
I have to agree with that "Justice Potter Stewart" person.
What is love? Baby don't hurt me ... don't hurt me.

Oh no, I didn't mean it in a bad way. (I am a huge fan of Justice Potter Stewart). Justice Stewart wrote a concurring opinion in
Jacobellis v. Ohio saying he could not necessarily define pornography, only that he knew what it was when he saw it. I have a fancy for sprinkling a little legal knowledge here and there. Love, like any other virtue, is by no means easy to define. [Edit] For example, in Plato's
Republic there are at least 3 different definitions of justice.
1. Justice (as proposed by Cephalus) is "to speak the truth and repay what one has borrowed."
2. Justice (as proposed by Thrasymacus) is "what is advantageous for the stronger."
3. Justice (as proposed by Socrates) is "not allowing the elements [of the soul] each to do the job of some other."
All of course, could be said to be justice. And, to a point, I suppose there are different degrees of justice, just as there is different kinds of love.
There is love on an individual level (affection) and there is love on the societal level (passion). Perhaps that'd be the best way to define it.
Re: So
Posted: Mar 06, 2010 2:34pm
by Aiden
I say Maybe, because my ex never believed in love until his new girlfriend...which is bullshit, because he broke a lot of people, and i was one of them and for the entire time i dated him, i slowly thought that maybe love wasn't real, but I'm sure I was feeling that... At least he broke that from me after a while after our break up.. now I don't think love is a whole lot of anything.
Re: So
Posted: Mar 07, 2010 12:27am
by Athos
Aiden wrote:I say Maybe, because my ex never believed in love until his new girlfriend...which is bullshit, because he broke a lot of people, and i was one of them and for the entire time i dated him, i slowly thought that maybe love wasn't real, but I'm sure I was feeling that... At least he broke that from me after a while after our break up.. now I don't think love is a whole lot of anything.
I think it's hard to see what
love is when you're still learning
who you
are.
Re: So
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 12:43pm
by Hardcore
Uh.. Sure? :S
Re: So
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 7:32pm
by Tailtiu
I call it a "click"; my friend Tyche calls it a "spark". There are just some people you click with when you meet them and you think- we could be together for a long time. That's the idea of a soulmate.
Re: So
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 10:19am
by SASSZAIN
^ i second that
Re: So
Posted: Mar 25, 2010 3:15am
by divinephoenix
Athos wrote:Pyro Psycho wrote:Athos wrote:Cookie wrote: You can't really define love; it depends on your definiton.
Taking the Justice Potter Stewart approach I see.
Well, it's not like it's the wrong thing to say in this case.
I have to agree with that "Justice Potter Stewart" person.
What is love? Baby don't hurt me ... don't hurt me.

Oh no, I didn't mean it in a bad way. (I am a huge fan of Justice Potter Stewart). Justice Stewart wrote a concurring opinion in
Jacobellis v. Ohio saying he could not necessarily define pornography, only that he knew what it was when he saw it. I have a fancy for sprinkling a little legal knowledge here and there. Love, like any other virtue, is by no means easy to define. [Edit] For example, in Plato's
Republic there are at least 3 different definitions of justice.
1. Justice (as proposed by Cephalus) is "to speak the truth and repay what one has borrowed."
2. Justice (as proposed by Thrasymacus) is "what is advantageous for the stronger."
3. Justice (as proposed by Socrates) is "not allowing the elements [of the soul] each to do the job of some other."
All of course, could be said to be justice. And, to a point, I suppose there are different degrees of justice, just as there is different kinds of love.
There is love on an individual level (affection) and there is love on the societal level (passion). Perhaps that'd be the best way to define it.
There really are different kinds of life. According to Philosophy there are basically two:
1. Agape - unconditional
2. Eros - erotic love which means you only love a part of the person, maybe an ability or a feature of a person but not as a whole.
But there's a lot more kinds of Love XD
Re: So
Posted: Jul 25, 2010 5:21am
by Jade_Steel_Hawk
Well it depends on the definition...there's seeing through someone's imperfections [more of a just friends thing], and then there's true love, which is probly more of what's being debated here. I do believe in it, but being patient is so dang difficult.
I'm done with the dating thing though..hardly anyone is serious with relationships nowadays. I'd much rather the courtship approach.
Re: So
Posted: Jul 25, 2010 5:40pm
by Shio
I personally dont believe that the love we see in those crummy romantic movies, but I think that you can care about a person deeply. Other than that... I'm not to sure.