Re: Verb Discussion, ばんざい!
Posted: Mar 16, 2008 3:19pm
Yeah, Rin's sentence is more gramatically correct. ^^;;
But actually, 'red hair/redhead' = 赤毛 (akage), or you could use 髪が赤い (kami ga akai).
Onnanoko ga aru akai kaminoke watashi o ira-ira shimasu
I think the problem is just that this particular example uses things we didn't go over... but I did notice that you switched the object and verb in the first clause. If you were to just say [someone] has [something], it needs to be subject-object-verb:
Onnanoko wa o-kane ga aru - The girl has money
And supposing "red hair" would replace "o-kane" (money), except that the grammar for "red hair" works differently.
There's a couple different patterns for describing things, especially people, outside the normal realm of adjectives and basic grammar... I don't know if I can explain this very well, but I'll try. Certain words can be connected with 'ga' to create descriptive phrases, like the one for 'redhead' above (kami ga akai). It works, like I said, especially with describing people:
atama ga ii = smart (lit. "head is good")
se ga takai = tall (lit. "back is high")
But it can also work with weather and other descriptions...
New York wa tenki ga warui desu. = The weather in New York is bad / New York has bad weather.
This is also the same pattern as:
[noun] ga suki = I like [noun]
[noun] ga daisuki = I love [noun]
[noun] ga kirai = I don't like [noun]
[noun] ga iya = I hate [noun]
etc.
Also!
If you want to say you are good or bad at something, you can use tokui (good) or nigate (bad) the same way:
Watashi wa Chousengo ga nigate desu - I'm terrible at Korean / My Korean skills suck. Etc.
The problem is that some of these are just set phrases, so turning the words around may sound strange. In addition, nouns like the other word for 'redhead' (akage) can be attached to other nouns with 'no' to become descriptive:
Akage no onnanoko = A girl with red hair / A redheaded girl
Those patterns might be a little harder to use, because they have limitations... but no obvious limitations. You know what I mean? There's no defining line that says, "You cannot use [this word] in this pattern"... it's going to be more of something you pick up on as you go along with the language. There are a lot of idiomatic expressions with this usage.
And... Rin brought up the ~te iru form, which is pretty important.
The ~te iru form is made by putting a verb into its past plain positive form, and then switching the final 'a' to 'e'... and then adding 'iru', of course. Taberu -> tabeta -> tabete iru. / Matsu -> matta -> matte iru.
This form is used for:
1. Habitual actions - things you do every day, every week, what you do for a living, etc.
Watashi wa giga o egaite iru - I draw cartoons (for a living)
Maiban bangohan o tabete iru - I eat dinner every evening.
2. Continuous/ongoing actions - something you're doing and have been doing...
Nani o shite iru ka? - What are you doing?
Terebi o mite iru - Watching TV (as I have been for a while)
3. States resulting from actions... easier to show than explain.
Kare wa kekkon shite iru - He is married.
Ima kare wa shinde iru - Now, he is dead.
4. And some verbs are just used more naturally/frequently in this form:
motsu (to hold, carry) -> motte iru
sumu (to live [somewhere]) -> sunde iru
shiru (to know) -> shitte iru
*To make it negative, simply make iru -> inai or imasen (polite)
*Da/desu, aru, and iru itself have no ~te iru form.
*This form is frequently shortened to ~te'ru in its informal form. (Like 'ai shiteru' = I love you)
So...
The girl with the red hair is annoying me.
Akage no onnanoko wa watashi o ira-ira shite imasu.
But actually, 'red hair/redhead' = 赤毛 (akage), or you could use 髪が赤い (kami ga akai).
Onnanoko ga aru akai kaminoke watashi o ira-ira shimasu
I think the problem is just that this particular example uses things we didn't go over... but I did notice that you switched the object and verb in the first clause. If you were to just say [someone] has [something], it needs to be subject-object-verb:
Onnanoko wa o-kane ga aru - The girl has money
And supposing "red hair" would replace "o-kane" (money), except that the grammar for "red hair" works differently.
There's a couple different patterns for describing things, especially people, outside the normal realm of adjectives and basic grammar... I don't know if I can explain this very well, but I'll try. Certain words can be connected with 'ga' to create descriptive phrases, like the one for 'redhead' above (kami ga akai). It works, like I said, especially with describing people:
atama ga ii = smart (lit. "head is good")
se ga takai = tall (lit. "back is high")
But it can also work with weather and other descriptions...
New York wa tenki ga warui desu. = The weather in New York is bad / New York has bad weather.
This is also the same pattern as:
[noun] ga suki = I like [noun]
[noun] ga daisuki = I love [noun]
[noun] ga kirai = I don't like [noun]
[noun] ga iya = I hate [noun]
etc.
Also!
If you want to say you are good or bad at something, you can use tokui (good) or nigate (bad) the same way:
Watashi wa Chousengo ga nigate desu - I'm terrible at Korean / My Korean skills suck. Etc.
The problem is that some of these are just set phrases, so turning the words around may sound strange. In addition, nouns like the other word for 'redhead' (akage) can be attached to other nouns with 'no' to become descriptive:
Akage no onnanoko = A girl with red hair / A redheaded girl
Those patterns might be a little harder to use, because they have limitations... but no obvious limitations. You know what I mean? There's no defining line that says, "You cannot use [this word] in this pattern"... it's going to be more of something you pick up on as you go along with the language. There are a lot of idiomatic expressions with this usage.
And... Rin brought up the ~te iru form, which is pretty important.
The ~te iru form is made by putting a verb into its past plain positive form, and then switching the final 'a' to 'e'... and then adding 'iru', of course. Taberu -> tabeta -> tabete iru. / Matsu -> matta -> matte iru.
This form is used for:
1. Habitual actions - things you do every day, every week, what you do for a living, etc.
Watashi wa giga o egaite iru - I draw cartoons (for a living)
Maiban bangohan o tabete iru - I eat dinner every evening.
2. Continuous/ongoing actions - something you're doing and have been doing...
Nani o shite iru ka? - What are you doing?
Terebi o mite iru - Watching TV (as I have been for a while)
3. States resulting from actions... easier to show than explain.
Kare wa kekkon shite iru - He is married.
Ima kare wa shinde iru - Now, he is dead.
4. And some verbs are just used more naturally/frequently in this form:
motsu (to hold, carry) -> motte iru
sumu (to live [somewhere]) -> sunde iru
shiru (to know) -> shitte iru
*To make it negative, simply make iru -> inai or imasen (polite)
*Da/desu, aru, and iru itself have no ~te iru form.
*This form is frequently shortened to ~te'ru in its informal form. (Like 'ai shiteru' = I love you)
So...
The girl with the red hair is annoying me.
Akage no onnanoko wa watashi o ira-ira shite imasu.