Page 1 of 1
The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Sep 27, 2005 6:56pm
by Sailor Universia
Though I hate to admit it, I sometimes realize that the dub occasionally has better material than the original version (
very rarely, but it does). At least, that is my opinion. For instance, I thought that the Inner Senshi's henshin music was better in the dub. Especially Sailor Moon's. In the Crystal henshin, it fit perfectly and made it seem more magical. I also think that the song
Carry On fit the battle scene much better than
Moonlight Denetsu. It just seemed recycled in the original, but hearing that cool guitar riff suddenly break out for
Carry On was too cool! Also, I think
My Only Love was a beautifully sad song that fit the ginzuishou scene better than its counterpart (which I can't recall the name of)

. What do you think?
re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Sep 27, 2005 7:48pm
by shinobi88
Well When I first saw Sailor Moon It was the English version so I never saw the Japansesone. But The Japanses one make more sense.
re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 8:52am
by Sailor Venus
I'm not sure.... I only like the dub (a little bit) because it got me into Sailor Moon.
re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 9:46am
by nozomi
When you say 'Crystal Henshin' you're speaking of Sailor Moon S The movie, right?
I liked the scene when the outer scouts were in the cafe. Their theme has always been my favorate song, but in the English dubbed version, Sailor Moon R The movie's 'Power of love' was the best enlglish song, im my opinion.
re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 9:49am
by Sailor Venus
I do agree with Sailor Universia about 'My Only Love'
re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 3:53pm
by Sailor Universia
"Crystal Henshin" is Usagi's transformation for R, wear the wings appear and then fade away and feathers fly around her. I always felt like the Eternal henshin was a rip off of the Crystal.
I thought of something else...I thought the BG music for the destruction of the Moon Kingdom was better in the dub. The voice acting definately wasn't (when Queen Serenity was dying, it sounded like she was ordering a pizza!), but I did like the music. The Japanese music was very suspenseful, but the English version had emotion.
Re: re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Sep 28, 2005 7:28pm
by shinobi88
Sailor Universia wrote:"Crystal Henshin" is Usagi's transformation for R, wear the wings appear and then fade away and feathers fly around her. I always felt like the Eternal henshin was a rip off of the Crystal.
I thought of something else...I thought the BG music for the destruction of the Moon Kingdom was better in the dub. The voice acting definately wasn't (when Queen Serenity was dying, it sounded like she was ordering a pizza!), but I did like the music. The Japanese music was very suspenseful, but the English version had emotion.
The english was too bland
re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Oct 02, 2005 8:05pm
by Sailor Universia
It was sad. Synthesized, but sad.
Oh, and one more thing! During the SuperS movie, when "Serena" says to "Rini", "Your cookies are funny looking, just like you!", I thought it was a very appropriate and Usagi-like thing to say. In the original, she didn't say anything funny at all (but the way she was laughing was hysterical!). That was a good line.
Re: re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Oct 03, 2005 1:32am
by Yuna Skylar
nozomi wrote:When you say 'Crystal Henshin' you're speaking of Sailor Moon S The movie, right?
I liked the scene when the outer scouts were in the cafe. Their theme has always been my favorate song, but in the English dubbed version, Sailor Moon R The movie's 'Power of love' was the best enlglish song, im my opinion.
I love every movie
re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Oct 03, 2005 10:55am
by Sailor Universia
I love the R movie!
It's Moon Revenge, woo...
I love the part when Usagi's eyes open when the song starts. But of course, that scene was animated for Moon Revenge!
re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Oct 03, 2005 11:11am
by Sailor Venus
^^ Kool
Re: re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Oct 03, 2005 12:05pm
by nozomi
**~Deeply 'n' Love~** wrote:nozomi wrote:When you say 'Crystal Henshin' you're speaking of Sailor Moon S The movie, right?
I liked the scene when the outer scouts were in the cafe. Their theme has always been my favorate song, but in the English dubbed version, Sailor Moon R The movie's 'Power of love' was the best enlglish song, im my opinion.
I love every movie
I have all the movies, but I've only watched R in japanese. lol.
re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Oct 04, 2005 7:52am
by Sailor Venus
Lol, I can't watch them in the dub for some reason
Re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Aug 10, 2006 12:52pm
by jennyelricchan
in my oppinion I thought the first two seasons dubs were terrible and the backround music was bad ut I do love the songs carry on and my only love
Re: The Good Parts of the Dub
Posted: Sep 18, 2006 9:37am
by Sailor Otaku
Sailor Universia wrote:Though I hate to admit it, I sometimes realize that the dub occasionally has better material than the original version (very rarely, but it does). At least, that is my opinion.
I agree. I think a lot of SM fans get caught up in ragging on the dub and forget that it occasionally had merit of its own.
Now, please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I do like the original version better than the dub overall. I do think that some of the edits they made were atrocious, and I am annoyed that certain episodes got cut out entirely when a little selective cropping would have made them perfectly acceptable by the dub's standards.
But on the other hand, people often don't give the dub it's due. After all, without the dub there are a lot of us here would wouldn't have found out about anime at all, much less about BSSM. Also, the translation wasn't always horrible. A lot of it was hacked up, yes, but a few episodes (such as the one where Nephrite dies) were almost verbatim the same as the original. Also, people forget that DiC
had to cut some material out. North American broadcast television requires roughly five minutes more commercial time than Japanese television does, so some material had to be taken out to put it on the air, regardless of how accurate the translation may have been (or in this case, not been.)
Once again I will repeat: I'm not saying that the dub was all smiles, I'm just saying it wasn't all frowns either. I also loved
My Only Love and
Rainy Day Man much better than the Japanese songs they replaced. I think the English music was overall pretty well done, considering the age group it was composed for. (The theme song was still horrible though

)