Page 1 of 1
WHat does "E desu" mean?
Posted: Jul 03, 2007 1:42pm
by analog
I for got where I heard it but if I remember corectly (which I probably don't) I though it meant "That it is". And id that's not what it means, how do you say "That it is"?
Re: WHat does "E desu" mean?
Posted: Jul 04, 2007 8:10pm
by geishaboy
Very simply
"e desu" is actually written "ii desu" and means "it's good", "it's alright" and can sometimes mean "thats enough". In fact it has a whole lot of meanings, but I would be here all day explaining them
"That it is" would be "sou desu", normally implying that you are agreeing with something someone has said
Re: WHat does "E desu" mean?
Posted: Jul 08, 2007 7:33pm
by Pink Supervisor|EL
isn't "desu" a phrase said ina way of speaking like degoxarou, and naruto's dattebayo?
Re: WHat does "E desu" mean?
Posted: Jul 08, 2007 7:34pm
by Pink Supervisor|EL
isn't "desu" a phrase said ina way of speaking like degozarou, and naruto's dattebayo?
Re: WHat does "E desu" mean?
Posted: Jul 15, 2007 3:49am
by geishaboy
Well, yes, in a way. degozaru is an older more polite variant of desu. Dattebayo is a bit diferent, you the "da" with is the plain fomr of desu "tte" wich indicates a quote of something that is said "ba" which is a conditional form, and "yo" is en emphasis marker
so
"kore desu" - "it's this"
"kore dattebayo" "I'm saying it's this" "I said it's this"
And no, "dattebayo" DOES NOT mean "believe it!"