Page 1 of 5

"Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 16, 2005 8:09am
by HiToKiRi_08
it bothers me... is kenshin a samurai? or is he just a ninja?

re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 17, 2005 4:10am
by josh
edit: Rurouni Kenshin.

re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 17, 2005 6:37am
by Noctune
He's not really a samurai, becaus you have to be born in a samurai family to be one. He's not a ninja either.
He's a warrior, but it's better to call him a samurai than ninja at least.

re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 17, 2005 7:11am
by Kenshin
He looks like a ninja tho

re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 17, 2005 2:06pm
by Dark Lilly
He is definately Ronin, as the name implies. A Ronin is essentially a Samurai without a master.

re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 17, 2005 3:33pm
by Kenshin
That could be true

re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 17, 2005 5:32pm
by The Naturalist
I dont think he is a samurai, because of how much samurai cared about the code of bushido. Im pretty sure assassinating someone is considered dishonorable and generally left to the ninjas, but Kenshin is not that either. I dont know what Kenshin is considered really, but I dont think he is/was a samurai

re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 17, 2005 8:06pm
by Dark Lilly
Battosi. No spelling guarantee.

He is neither samuari nor ninja. He was a "Manslsayer." Battosi. He was a "in your face" assassin rather than a sneeky, backdoor ninja assassin. I see him as being closer to the samurai than the ninja, but that's just my take on it.

And I misspoke when I said he didn't have a master. Hiko Seijuro is his sword master, his teacher. What I should have said is a Ronin is essentially a Samurai without a Shogun (War Lord).

Additionally, as the title of the series is Rurouni Kenshin, does that not imply that he is a ronin and would that not make him closer to samurai than ninja?

Good question.

re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 17, 2005 8:56pm
by The Naturalist
I do think that he is closer to a samurai, and re-reading my post, I could see why you thought I didnt. I think that he actually is a samurai, but only after he takes his oath not to kill, ( Tho real samurai took an oath against the Buddhist way of not killing) as he does nothing that could be considered against his code after that.

re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 17, 2005 9:53pm
by Kenshin
How about lets al just say he is a samurai cause Kenshin was too :mrgreen:

re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 17, 2005 10:01pm
by Dark Lilly
This question bugged me off and on all day because I posted, signed off and went to work.

I kept thinking, "Arrrgh! He did have a "master" but he wasn't attached to a Shogun, hence a Ronin. And it is part of the title of the show .... and he was called a Battosi ....

....can someone come up with the spelling for that? It's driving me nuts .....

AoD, you know way more than I regarding bushido. I'd come far closer answering questions of European Chivalry, weapons and warfair. Thanks for the thoughtful input. I appreciate it.

re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 18, 2005 12:52pm
by pitt
No Kenshins a Viking, can't you tell by the pink clothing.

Re: re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 18, 2005 1:43pm
by Noctune
pitt wrote:No Kenshins a Viking, can't you tell by the pink clothing.
OT was that an insult of the Vikings?
//one who's proud of her country's history (Sweden :D )

Re: re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 18, 2005 3:54pm
by Kenshin
pitt wrote:No Kenshins a Viking, can't you tell by the pink clothing.
idiot

Re: re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 18, 2005 4:10pm
by *Shadow Samurai *
Angel of Death wrote:I do think that he is closer to a samurai, and re-reading my post, I could see why you thought I didnt. I think that he actually is a samurai, but only after he takes his oath not to kill, ( Tho real samurai took an oath against the Buddhist way of not killing) as he does nothing that could be considered against his code after that.
I agree with that :!:

re: "Kenshin Himura" a ninja or a samurai?

Posted: Mar 18, 2005 4:27pm
by Kenshin
i kind of agree