Forum is closed. New registrations are disabled. Join our active Discord community.

The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Topics about anything not related to the other forums.
Locked
User avatar
Dretlin
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2898
Joined: Oct 29, 2004 8:00am
Gender: Male

The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Post by Dretlin »

Reactions? Opinions? Baseless emtional slurs?

I am keen to hear everyones opinion, as the reactions I have been exposed to have been very divided.
User avatar
Athos
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7625
Joined: Feb 17, 2006 7:10pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Post by Athos »

Well, I'm surprised about the backlash that Scotland's received from the international community. On the other hand, reading the article on Wiki about the man gives me the idea that he could pick his nose and it'd cause a major headline.

However, it goes to show that the Scots have compassion. (I applaud them for doing it despite the flack from the international community).
Member of the ModSquad 8)
User avatar
Dretlin
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2898
Joined: Oct 29, 2004 8:00am
Gender: Male

Re: The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Post by Dretlin »

Athos wrote:Well, I'm surprised about the backlash that Scotland's received from the international community. On the other hand, reading the article on Wiki about the man gives me the idea that he could pick his nose and it'd cause a major headline.

However, it goes to show that the Scots have compassion. (I applaud them for doing it despite the flack from the international community).
I support the decision. I call into question his original charge, let alone the prosecution. I have seen that most British families who lost a loved one also support this decision for the same reason. I have also noted most Americans families feel the opposite. I have also watched the appalling and inaccurate Fox "news" reports.

I am also happy to see the Justice Secretary could make a decision and not cave into pressure from outside Scotland. I would propose anyone in search of justice would favor this decision and those who want a place to fix their blame would not.
User avatar
Athos
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7625
Joined: Feb 17, 2006 7:10pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Post by Athos »

It was weird how the trial was done in the Netherlands. I could understand, but I think it should of happened on the basis on Scottish law (which he was tried under right?).
Member of the ModSquad 8)
User avatar
Dretlin
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2898
Joined: Oct 29, 2004 8:00am
Gender: Male

Re: The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Post by Dretlin »

Athos wrote:It was weird how the trial was done in the Netherlands. I could understand, but I think it should of happened on the basis on Scottish law (which he was tried under right?).
He was in court under Scottish law. The evidence against him was too weak to convict him "beyond reasonable doubt". So I am left wondering.

He was in Greenock prison, which is located on the west coast of Scotland since his conviction. He was given almost the maximum sentence a Scottish Court can deliver.
User avatar
Athos
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7625
Joined: Feb 17, 2006 7:10pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Post by Athos »

Reasonable doubt is a tricky thing.
Member of the ModSquad 8)
User avatar
Gaming Goddess
Absolute Otaku
Posts: 3951
Joined: Feb 12, 2005 3:38pm
Gender: Female

Re: The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Post by Gaming Goddess »

What this whole situation has taught me is; Americans are less forgiving than the rest of the international community.
An ordinary girl, an ordinary waist; but ordinary's just not good enough today.
Who needs imagination when you have a television?
Half of the Dream Team. Sup Mike? :wink: Part of the Sexy Trio =P~
BIKI! =3
User avatar
Dretlin
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2898
Joined: Oct 29, 2004 8:00am
Gender: Male

Re: The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Post by Dretlin »

Gaming Goddess wrote:What this whole situation has taught me is; Americans are less forgiving than the rest of the international community.
Scotland and the rest of the UK is divided, passionately I might add.

Is justice having an scapegoat or accepting a just conviction can not be achieved? Not while the international community is guided by interests and not morals.
Nyx
Absolute Otaku
Posts: 1996
Joined: Dec 21, 2006 2:16pm
Gender: Female

Re: The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Post by Nyx »

I think if he really is guilty- and I claim to know nothing about the case besides the barest details- he shouldn't be released. Instead, he should serve his sentence until death in a...I don't want to say good or fair...A jail that isn't too harsh and any living family/friends should be allowed to see him until death/his time is up.
AA Sibs: Coin-Boy, Casual, Biki, Tyche
AA Hubbies: EL, Kura, AOH I wuv my hubbies. All 3 of them. <3
AA X-mas Pressy: Cloud AA Luv: Cold
AA Child: Dogboy, Pervert. AA Grandchild: Master InuYasha
That'll do fangirl, that'll do.
User avatar
Athos
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7625
Joined: Feb 17, 2006 7:10pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Post by Athos »

Gaming Goddess wrote:What this whole situation has taught me is; Americans are less forgiving than the rest of the international community.

I think we have the twin towers to thank for that.
Member of the ModSquad 8)
User avatar
Dretlin
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2898
Joined: Oct 29, 2004 8:00am
Gender: Male

Re: The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Post by Dretlin »

Athos wrote:
Gaming Goddess wrote:What this whole situation has taught me is; Americans are less forgiving than the rest of the international community.

I think we have the twin towers to thank for that.
On the other side of the spectrum. Perhaps this - another event that was left in limbo by lack of international courage. Similar to Lockerbie.

Yet I still find it difficult to compare completly different events. Its all far too complicated to do so.
User avatar
Aoi Sakuraba
Absolute Otaku
Posts: 2966
Joined: Dec 01, 2007 8:28pm
Gender: Female

Re: The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Post by Aoi Sakuraba »

Gaming Goddess wrote:What this whole situation has taught me is; Americans are less forgiving than the rest of the international community.
Nah my country is much less forgiving than the amerikans, we also have a 99% conviction rate here, odds are if you're tried in court here you're convicted lol. This could be from the fact that they can hold you for 23 days while they gather evidence. Plus we still have an active death penalty here, and ours is so much more efficient than the amerikans.....they waste sop much money and electricity on the electric chair and lethal injection.....we just use a rope.
(*Bleach 101 ARMY*) - General 陸軍大将 Rikugun Taishō (****)
Tell me Nana, why isnt forgetting about our mistakes and wounds enough to make them disappear? Even now I keep calling your name. Despite my pain, I'll keep on doing that until you answer me.
User avatar
Hardcore
Absolute Otaku
Posts: 3604
Joined: Jun 23, 2007 7:08pm
Gender: Female

Re: The Release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

Post by Hardcore »

Aoi Sakuraba wrote:
Gaming Goddess wrote:What this whole situation has taught me is; Americans are less forgiving than the rest of the international community.
Nah my country is much less forgiving than the amerikans, we also have a 99% conviction rate here, odds are if you're tried in court here you're convicted lol. This could be from the fact that they can hold you for 23 days while they gather evidence. Plus we still have an active death penalty here, and ours is so much more efficient than the amerikans.....they waste sop much money and electricity on the electric chair and lethal injection.....we just use a rope.
Sounds fun.... :?
Decisions to decisions are made and not bought, but I thought this wouldn't hurt a lot. I guess not.
Locked